Handshake of two female hands with red nail polish

Social psychiatric service

Social psychiatric service

Whether difficulties in old age or in need of care, mental problems or addictive behaviour: The district's social psychiatric service supports those affected and their relatives with mental or social problems.

The social psychiatric service provides support:

  • in the search for ways to continue living in their own home despite illness
  • with financial worries and problems in old age
  • Family members who are worried about an elderly relative
  • Family members seeking advice because the person concerned can no longer deal with certain matters independently
  • People who want to highlight a plight of older people

The social psychiatric service provides counselling:

  • People who have been lacking the desire to be with other people for some time now
  • Affected people who lack the energy to take action and who withdraw
  • People who perceive familiar things differently than before and notice that they are in a crisis
  • Relatives, neighbours, friends who are concerned about a person who may be mentally ill.
  • on all questions concerning support and therapy options
  • People with an addiction problem or people who are worried about another person in this respect.
  • Affected persons in problem situations with a need to talk

The counselling services are voluntary and free of charge. The staff do not offer therapy, treatment or legal advice. A doctor, specialists in social work and social pedagogy, nursing and social medicine are available as contact persons.

All staff in the social psychiatric service are bound by confidentiality and handle information responsibly. If the client wishes to release him/herself from the duty of confidentiality, contact can be made with other institutions if this seems professionally appropriate. Exceptional situations can arise when a person is mentally ill and therefore helpless, but is unable to see the clinical picture for themselves. In such cases, the social psychiatric service can, in individual cases, request legal guardianship from the district court, which will review the necessity and decide accordingly. In absolute emergencies - i.e. when a person is in acute danger to himself or herself or to others - the district is obliged to work towards placement in a psychiatric hospital. This only applies if all measures on a voluntary basis have failed.