Apply for a residence permit for the purpose of training
Foreign nationals from non-EU and non-EEA countries require a residence permit for training purposes in Germany. You can obtain this for the following training courses:
- Participation in language courses that are not preparatory for studies (intensive language course in German)
- in exceptional cases to attend school
- with the approval of the Federal Employment Agency for in-company training and further education
To study at a state or state-recognised higher education institution or comparable educational institution in Germany, you need a "residence permit for students".
Note: Nationals of EU member states can complete training in Germany on the basis of their right to freedom of movement. This also applies to other nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and to nationals of Switzerland.
The residence permit for the purpose of training is limited in time and is only valid for this purpose of residence. If the purpose of residence changes, you must notify the competent office immediately. You must apply for an extension of the residence permit in good time before it expires.
Attention: If you are staying in Germany for educational purposes, you cannot obtain a settlement permit.
Before entering Germany, you may need to apply for a national visa in your home country.
After entering Germany, you must apply for a residence title in writing to the Aliens' Registration Office before your visa expires. Depending on where you live, the aliens' registration office is either the city council or the district administration office.
Since 01.09.2011 you have received the residence title in the form of a cheque card with additional electronic functions. You can find more information on this under "Apply for an electronic residence title (eAT)".
Note: If the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required (e.g. in the case of in-company training and further education), the Foreigners' Registration Office obtains this in an internal administrative procedure.
Prerequisites for the issuance of the residence permit are:
- They fulfil the passport and visa requirements.
Your livelihood is secured.
The assessment limit is the maximum funding rate according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG).
- There are no grounds for expulsion against you.
- Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You meet the entry requirements for the corresponding training.
- They fulfil the passport and visa requirements.
Which documents are required?
- Proof of compliance with passport and visa requirements
- Proof of secure livelihood
- Proof of fulfilment of the entry requirements for the training (original)
What are the fees?
Issue: 100 €
4 - 6 weeks
§ Section 16 a AufenthG (vocational training), Section 17 AufenthG (search for a training place)
What else should I know?
You have a residence permit for other purposes (e.g. for family reasons) or a settlement permit: In this case, you can take up training in Germany without an additional residence permit.
If you complete qualified vocational training in Germany, you may pursue employment of up to 10 hours per week regardless of the training. After successful completion of the qualified vocational training, the authorities can extend your residence permit for up to one year under certain conditions. During this time
- you can look for a job appropriate to your degree, provided that it may be filled by foreign nationals, and
- are allowed to work without restrictions.
Who do I need to contact?
- for the issuance of a national visa prior to entry into the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany: the German mission abroad (embassy, consulate)
- after entry: the foreigners authority in whose district you usually reside.
The foreigners authorities in Hesse are the district councils and mayors of the independent cities and the cities belonging to the districts with more than 50,000 inhabitants.
Tip: The Federal Foreign Office provides a list of the representations of the Federal Republic of Germany abroad on its website.
Do you live in the northern district: municipality of Willingen (Upland), municipality of Diemelsee, town of Diemelstadt, town of Volkmarsen, town of Bad Arolsen, city of Lichtenfels, town of Bad Wildungen, municipality of Vöhl or in the town of Waldeck? Then you will find the right contact persons for your request here:
|First letter Surname|
Aa - Aln, H, I, S, Y, UMA
Aa - Aln
Alo - Az, H, I, S
B, E, D, Mj - Mz, L, U, V, W, X
B, E, L, Mj - Mz
C, G, Alo - Az
F, J, K, Ma - Mi, N
F, J, Kh - Kz, U, V, Y, X
Ka-Kg, 0, P, Q, Z
Ma-Mi, N, UMA
O, P,Q, R, T, Z
If you live in the southern district: Gemeinde Edertal, Stadt Frankenau, Stadt Frankenberg (Eder), Gemeinde Allendorf (Eder), Stadt Hatzfeld (Eder), Gemeinde Burgwald, Gemeinde Haina (Kloster), Stadt Gemünden (Wohra) or in the Stradt Rosenthal, you will find your contact persons here: