Apply for student visa
If you want to study in Germany, you must apply for a student visa before entering the country. Depending on your nationality, entry may be facilitated.
Do not need a visa for entry:
- Nationals of the Member States of the European Union (EU) and the EEA States
- Swiss nationals
- Nationals of Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino and the USA. If you stay longer than 3 months, you must apply for a residence permit for students from countries outside the EU/EEA within 90 days of entry.
All other foreign study applicants require a residence permit in the form of a national visa prior to entry.
You can also find more information on the page of the German Foreign Office "Student Visa".
Apply for a residence permit for students from countries outside the EU/EEA
National visa (entry in Germany)
- Study at
- a state or state-recognized institution of higher education (university, college of education, art college, university of applied sciences) or
- of a comparable training institution.
- Studies must be the main purpose of the stay. This includes all phases of training:
- Language course or preparatory course for studies
- Language test
- Internships that prepare students for their studies (if recommended or required by the university)
- Studies (basic studies. Main studies, internships during studies, intermediate and final examinations).
- Postgraduate, additional. Supplementary studies or doctorate
- practical activities following a course of study, insofar as they are a prescribed part of the training
- Financing of the livelihood
- Health insurance in Germany
- Fulfillment of the requirements for admission to the desired educational institution (letter of admission).
- Study at
What documents are needed?
- Passport (valid at least for the duration of the visa applied for)
- 2 recent passport photos
- Certificate of purpose of stay (e.g. admission to studies)
- Proof of financing (e.g. statement of parents' income and financial situation, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account in Germany, scholarship contract)
- Proof of health insurance
The competent body may request further documentation.
What are the fees?
The costs depend on the type and duration of the residence permit.
The duration from application to issuance of the visa can vary depending on the country. You must expect a processing time of several months
§ Section 3 Residence Act (AufenthG) (passport requirement)
§ Section 31 Residence Ordinance (AufenthV) (consent of the foreigners authority to the issuance of a visa)
§ Section 16b Residence Act (AufenthG) (studies, language courses, school attendance)
§§ 39 - 41 Residence Ordinance (AufenthV) (Obtaining a residence title in the federal territory)
§ Section 4 Residence Act (AufenthG) (requirement of a residence title)
§ 2 Residence Act para. 3 (AufenthG) (subsistence, health insurance)
§ Section 5 Residence Act (AufenthG) (General requirements for issuance)
§ Section 56 Residence Ordinance (AufenthV) (Obligations under the law on identity documents
§ 4 Freedom of Movement Act/EU (FreizügG/EU) (Non-employed persons entitled to freedom of movement)
What else should I know?
Further information for foreigners is also available on the homepage of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Who do I need to contact?
To the German diplomatic mission responsible for your place of residence.
Tip: A list of the representations of the Federal Republic of Germany abroad is provided by the Federal Foreign Office on its online pages.
Directory of the Representations of the Federal Republic of Germany Abroad
Do you live in the northern district: municipality of Willingen (Upland), municipality of Diemelsee, city of Diemelstadt, city of Volkmarsen, city of Bad Arolsen, city of Lichtenfels, city of Bad Wildungen, municipality of Vöhl or in the city of Waldeck? Then you will find the right contact persons for your request here:
First letter surname
A - Aln
Aa - Aln
Alo - Az, H, I, S
B, E, D, U, V, W, X
B, E, L, Mj - Mz
Alo - Az, C, G
F, J, K, L, M, N
Larissa horse mackerel
F, J, Kh - Kz, V, Y, U, X
H, I, S, Y, UMA
Ka-Kg, 0, P, Q, Z
Ma-Mi, N, UMA
O, P,Q, R, T, Z
If you live in the southern district: Gemeinde Edertal, Stadt Frankenau, Stadt Frankenberg (Eder), Gemeinde Allendorf (Eder), Stadt Hatzfeld (Eder), Gemeinde Burgwald, Gemeinde Haina (Kloster), Stadt Gemünden (Wohra) or in the Stradt Rosenthal, you will find your contact persons here:
First letter surname