Tree on meadow in a courtyard of an old monastery building

Museum in the monastery

Museum in the monastery

The Museum im Kloster des Landkreises Waldeck-Frankenberg is housed in the north wing of the former Cistercian convent of St. Georgenberg in Frankenberg, which also includes the 13th-century Romanesque St. Mauritius Chapel, and was opened on 29 May 1952. Its presentation focuses on the works of the Frankenberg artist Philipp Soldan (1500 - 1570), a woodcarver, stone sculptor and master of the stove plate in the 16th century. Artfully carved beam heads, funerary shields and stove slabs by the sculptor can be seen in the cloister. The Hessian artist became known in the 16th century as a mould cutter (maker of models for iron casting), master builder and painter.

The museum also houses works by Tyle of Frankenberg (14th century), a famous master builder and stone sculptor of his time. His work is also represented in the cloister with figures of saints, a figure of Christ and the torsos of 14th century statues of prophets and Madonnas.

The collection is completed by extensive folkloristic exhibits. In the former refectory and dormitory, furniture, traditional costumes and tools provide a variety of insights into past rural life and bourgeois culture. Admission is free of charge. Donations will be gladly accepted.

Note: The museum in the monastery in Frankenberg is currently being redesigned and renovated and is therefore not open to visitors at the moment.

View of a house front of an old monastery building

Cistercian Monastery
St. Georgenberg

The administrative office of the district in Frankenberg is housed in the former Cistercian convent of St. Georgenberg.

Learn more